Join Christina Ball and Jaime Kurtz
(aka “The Happy Traveler”)
next summer in Scandinavia!
For thirty years and counting, Scandinavian countries have dominated the worldwide happiness charts. Why? Is it their enviable work-life balance? Guaranteed health care and education from primary through graduate school? Safe, bike-and-boat friendly cities? Love of nature? Close connection to community and family? Something more?
On this summer trip, you will immerse yourself in the culture of Denmark and Sweden to discover first-hand what makes these countries the world’s happiness all-stars. Guided by positive psychology expert and author of the forthcoming book The Happy Traveler: Unpacking the Secrets of Better Vacations (Oxford UP), Jaime Kurtz, you will also practice tried-and-true strategies for happier travel, like learning how to better savor your experiences, fully engage with a new culture, and make rich memories. These skills will enhance not only this trip, but all of your future travels! And, as with everything we do at Speak! (and our study abroad experiences, in particular), you will build strong friendships both with your fellow travelers and with the locals we’ll meet along the way.
While soaking up the secrets to a happier life, you’ll also:
- Sample New Nordic cuisine in Copenhagen
- Sleep, swim and sauna in a beautifully-designed ecolodge in the Swedish forest
- Cycle through Copenhagen, the world’s most bike-friendly city
- Go on long walks and hikes and maybe a kayak ride!
- Learn about Scandinavian art and design
- Visit Christiania, one of Europe’s most famous communes
- Play like a kid again at Copenhagen’s Tivoli Gardens
- Cruise Stockholm’s 30,000 island archipelago
- Savor 18 hours of sunshine per day
COPENHAGEN, August 2-8
6 DELICIOUS DAYS AND BRIGHT NIGHTS IN THE HAPPY CITY
Meet us in Copenhagen! We’ll begin our two week adventure together in Denmark’s dynamic, eco-friendly capital city. Studded with, glorious parks, vibrant neighborhoods, artful design and exciting, world-class restaurants, Copenhagen is truly a city to savor.
Lodging: 6 nights at the boutique Avenue Hotel
Organized/group activities in Copenhagen include:
- A get-oriented canal tour of the city
- A 4-hour guided food tour of the best markets and eateries
- A design tour + dinner at Höst, winner of numerous global design awards
- An exploration of “Green Copenhagen” – urban gardens, sustainability initiatives and lunch in the greenhouse-restaurant, Väkst.
- Visit to a seaside sculpture garden and art collection at the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art
INTO THE WOODS: URNATUR ECO-RETREAT, August 8-11
Lodging: 3 Nights at Urnatur, where nature+design=a calm, happy place
After 6 days in the city, we’ll retreat to the ancient, fairy-tale setting of Urnatur in the forests of southern Sweden, an award-winning eco-retreat designed and run by Ulrika Krynitz and Håkan Strotz. Here we’ll indulge in the luxury of simplicity, stay in moss-covered huts and tree-houses (hand-built by Håkan), swim and canoe in the lake, enjoy the fire-heated sauna, go on long walks in the woods, learn to cook over an open flame and converse (or just enjoy the sounds of nature) long into the night.
ISLAND-CITY: STOCKHOLM, Aug 11-16
Relaxed and rejuvenated by our time at our forest retreat, we’ll then travel by private bus to Sweden’s capital city: Stockholm. Nick-named “The Venice of the North,” Stockholm is situated on 14 islands and shares the clear waters with an archipelago made up of thousands more. We will enjoy five days and nights in this spectacular city, experiencing the good life as locals do, and perhaps discovering a few ways of our own. As we near the end of our two week exploration of happiness and travel, we will end our shared journey both inspired and illuminated, both rested and revived.
Lodging: 5 nights at the gorgeous Hotel Skeppsholmen
Stockholm Activities Include:
- An all-day cruise around the archipelago on historic ship with stops on 2-3 islands.
- A bike or kayak tour of the city
- A 4-hour guided food tour of the city’s best markets and food purveyors
- Time to enjoy the city’s numerous parks, museums, cafés (together or alone!)
- A celebratory, final dinner at a stellar Stockholm eatery