Make Friends with SPAIN!
Speak! and iDays Present:
VALENCIA – CHARLOTTESVILLE
8th-11th grade Student Exchange Program
How does it work?
A group of Valencia teens travels to Charlottesville in July 2015
A group of Charlottesville teens travels to Spain in June 2016
Participate in one or both – i.e. you can host a Spanish kid without participating in the Valencia trip!
Speak! is working with one of the oldest and most established schools in Valencia, Spain – Real Colegio de las Escuelas Pias – on this new middle/high-school summer exchange program. Elena Urbiola, an English teacher at Escuelas Pias, has a group of about ten or fifteen kids, ages 14-17, who are eager to come to Charlottesville next July to make new friends, practice their English and explore Virginia and American culture. Speak! is helping Elena and her students by finding host families, ideally with kids around the same age (8th-11th grades) in C-ville. Since this is an exchange program, after all, Speak! is planning a fabulous three week immersion trip to Valencia for 8th-11th graders in June 2016. Christina Ball, Speak’s owner and director, will lead the trip and her own 9th grader will be participating in the exchange – staying with a host family, learning Spanish and having lots of FUN!
HOST A TEEN FROM SPAIN THIS SUMMER!
JULY 8-29, 2015 : VALENCIA COMES TO C-VILLE
“It was fun showing our student the beautiful places in and around Charlottesville, teaching her some English as well as exposing her to the American way of life. In turn we learned a lot about the Spanish culture, language and food. We hope to stay in touch with our student and some day visit her in Spain.”
-Jessica and Lauren Santen, host family 2014
“We had a great time hosting Josevi last summer. My son had an internship at Habitat for Humanity and Josevi was able to join him for several days. We also went swimming at a farm in Nelson County, he went to Luray with the rest of his group and he and my son very much enjoyed kicking back on the Charlottesville Downtown Mall. Did you know that Valencians speak a native language in addition to Spanish? We learned so much!”
– Melissa Wender and son Herbert Ryan, host family 2014
Seeking Host Families with Teens!
Why host a Spanish exchange student?
- Enrich your family’s daily life by sharing it with a person from another culture!
- Introduce a new culture to your children
- See our culture through new eyes
- Make a new and lasting friendship, one that can be further enriched through your or your child’s future travel to Valencia, Spain
Responsibilities of becoming a Host Family, July 10-31st, 2015:
- Provide a warm, caring and secure environment
- Have children, ideally of high school age, living at home.
- Provide practice in every day spoken English. Only English should be spoken!
- Include the student in your family activities, gatherings with friends, excursions, etc.
- Provide 3 healthy meals a day (contract includes $250 to help with food expenses!)
- Alert sponsors of any concerns
- Provide one or two “special” activities during the weekends – i.e. water park, county fair, hiking, swimming, sporting event, trips to D.C. or Richmond
- Know whereabouts of student at all times
- Provide transportation as needed (ideal locations will be close to downtown!)
*Families do not need to completely change their lives to host a student – these kids want to experience regular American life!
Registration opens November 3rd.
Contact Christina for answers to any questions, in the meantime
JUNE, 2016 : C-VILLE GOES TO VALENCIA
Eligibility: 8th-11th graders in Charlottesville/Albemarle (any/all schools)
Dates: 2016 dates TBD.
Students wishing to travel in June 2015 to Valencia can go with another Virginia group.
Exchange students (if you host a Valencian teen): 1250 euros/approx.$1,580
Non-exchange students (June trip to Spain only): 1550euros/approx $1,960
[button link=”https://speak.wufoo.com/forms/zip08nw1otrgzz/” color=”orange”]Register here! [/button]
Why Travel to Valencia on this 3 Week Trip?
- Experience a new and beautiful language and culture!
- Make new friends
- Learn or continue learning Spanish
- See wonderful sites!
- Travel with a friendly group and be in expert hands
What’s included ?
- 3 Week host family stay: food and lodging for the duration of the trip
- Spanish lessons: learn the equivalent of Spanish 1, 2 or 3 at Valencia’s oldest and most prestigious school, Real Colegio de las Escuelas Pias
- Day and overnight trips to Barcelona and Tarragona (includes all meals, hotels, tickets to museums, etc.)
- Cultural Activities in and around Valencia
- Airport transfer to/from Valencia
- Round Trip flight (though we will coordinate to fly together with the help of Peace Frogs)
- Travel insurance (required, approx $150-200)
- Tuition for any parent who wishes to join the trip!*
*Adults/parents are welcome to join the group. Speak! and iDays can create a language/culture (i.e. cooking classes) for you or you can just ‘hang out’ and join in our group trips and activities, as desired.