Valencia, Spain – Charlottesville, VA
HIGH SCHOOL SUMMER EXCHANGE PROGRAM
Host a Student from Spain this Summer!
Send your H.S. Student to Spain next Summer!
A NEW CULTURAL – and linguistic! – FRIENDSHIP:
Speak! is working with one of the oldest and most established schools in Valencia, Spain – Real Colegio de las Escuelas Pias – to develop a high-school summer exchange program. Elena Urbiola, an English teacher at Escuelas Pias, has a group of about ten kids, ages 14-17, who are eager to come to Charlottesville this July to make new friends, practice their English and explore Virginia and American culture. Speak! is helping Elena and her kids (photographed above!) by finding host families, ideally with kids around the same age (8th-11th grades) in C-ville. We would also love to start organizing a group of high school students from Charlottesville to go to Valencia summer 2015 for a similar cultural immersion (and Spanish language) experience.
SEEKING HOST FAMILIES in C-ville FOR THIS JULY 10-31st!
Speak! is working with Elena Urbiola, English teacher in Valencia, to help her find host families in Charlottesville.
Why host a Spanish exchange student?
- Enrich your family’s daily life by sharing it with a person from another culture!
- Introduce a new culture to your children
- See our culture through new eyes
- Make a new and lasting friendship, one that can be further enriched through your or your child’s future travel to Valencia, Spain
Responsibilities of becoming a Host Family, July 10-31st, 2014:
- Provide a warm, caring and secure environment
- Have children, ideally of high school age, living at home.
- Provide practice in every day spoken English. Only English should be spoken!
- Include the student in your family activities, gatherings with friends, excursions, etc.
- Provide healthy meals
- Alert sponsors of any concerns
- Provide one or two “special” activities during the weekends – i.e. water park, county fair, hiking, swimming, sporting event, trips to D.C. or Richmond
- Know whereabouts of student at all times
- Provide transportation as needed (ideal locations will be close to downtown!)
*Families do not need to completely change their lives to host a student – these kids want to experience regular American life!
*A $400 stipend will be provided to each host family to help with expenses.
For more information, contact Christina at Speak! at (434) 245-8255 or firstname.lastname@example.org